Each year Marin LAFCo holds a special meeting in January to conduct the Commission’s annual strategic planning workshop. The workshop is open to the public and is an opportunity for the Commission to discuss Marin LAFCo’s performance in meeting goals and objectives set for the recently completed calendar year coupled with considering interests and priorities for the new calendar year. The discussion generated from the workshop immediately informs the preparation and approval of a strategic plan for the new calendar year with the underlying goal of aligning the Commission’s vision with the collective goals of the membership in implementing LAFCo law in Marin County.
The current strategic plan was approved as part of a regular meeting held on February 9th. The document continues to orient Marin LAFCo to “stay the course” and continue to be proactive in meeting the agency’s regional growth management responsibilities. The document is anchored by a vision statement and the outlining of near-term goals as provided below.
Marin LAFCo will provide oversight of local government agencies and their municipal service areas consistent with the provisions of the Cortese-Knox-Hertzberg Local Government Reorganization Act of 2000 and in a manner responsive to community needs and in partnership with affected jurisdictions. The Commission will achieve this vision by emphasizing the following core values:
The Commission will exercise independent judgment in fulfilling its regulatory and planning responsibilities consistent with the adopted policies and state law.
The Commission will maintain a high standard of quality, integrity, and consistency while facilitating accountable and efficient municipal .
The Commission will be objective in its decision-making and will consider reasonableness of all potential before the agency.
The Commission will add value for the public by collaborating with agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of municipal services.
2018 - 2020 Goals and Objectives
The following goals and objectives for fiscal years 2018/19 and 2019/20 support the agency’s vision statement:
- Comply with the requirements of the Cortese-Knox-Hertzberg Local Government Reorganization Act of 2000 and applicable state law;
- Stabilize agency administration, staff, and office;
- Update policies to reflect current practices and to comply with state laws;
- Stay on track with revised workplan and study schedule within the approved budget;
- Establish positive working relationships with local agencies;
- Improve work quality through collaboration with other LAFCo’s and CALAFCo;
- Prioritize public communication and transparency in promoting Marin LAFCo’s mandates and functions.